As the middleware development organization within one of the world’s largest hospitality companies our client connected applications that support critical daily functions. The organization originated within another development team and spun off as the company’s needs expanded.
In early 2017 the middleware team was in a state of flux. A new leader (the third within the year) was appointed and tasked with stabilizing the organization and removing it as the bottleneck negatively impacting most of the company’s top 10 initiatives. These bottlenecks were impacting Business goals, resulting in middleware being escalated to C-level executives.
To improve, the middleware team needed to grow quickly, stabilize the organization, communicate directly to the team and partners, develop and execute against a roadmap to mature team capabilities, and conduct interviews to secure key resources, including a strong leadership team.
The Jabian team joined the middleware organization both as leaders and transformation partners. The team quickly responded to the situation by driving the following:
- Building strategic roadmaps for the development and project/work management teams
- Designing an organization model and supporting processes to modify the organization
- Developing roles and responsibilities to align the proposed organization
- Establishing processes for work intake, defect management, and project management capabilities
- Creating metrics and executive dashboards to track the progress of improvements
- Leading project management and application development teams as the size of the team tripled
- Partnering with stakeholders to provide visibility
- Interviewing and onboarding long-term leadership
As a result of our efforts, the client achieved the following milestones::
- Tripled the team size (from ~50 to 160+) in four months and successfully alleviated the development bottleneck
- Implemented key processes that provided visibility and structure to work throughput, requirements/design management, and defect management
- Executed ~30 initiatives from the middleware strategic roadmaps
- Interviewed, onboarded, and transitioned key leadership roles
App Development & Project Mgmt Roadmaps
Throughput Report (Work Mgmt)