The client is a rising industrial wholesaler that dominates its market but faces regional challenges due to a segmented market and a steady diet of new acquisitions. Innovation and sheer size has yielded a variety of value-add services that differentiate the organization from its competitors. These value-add services plus the experienced, customer-focused culture has put them in a position to go to market without resorting to price wars.
The sales force is positioned to grow existing accounts and acquire new customers without having to compete on price. However, the supporting CRM processes and tools prevent the user community from accessing the information that will help them execute. In addition to sub-optimal information access, the supporting CRM tools also leave users unsure of how to perform complex functions (such as generating sales quotes across multiple locations and delivery dates) and sometimes even basic functions. We started by defining and prioritizing the Capabilities that support those key functions.
After assessing and affirming the ability of the sales force to provide vision for the future-state sales processes that would capitalize on the organizational, competitive advantages, it was also critical to assess the technology organization to determine if they were mature enough to convert business needs into technology solutions.
The Assessment paved the way to execute the strategy:
- Develop future-state business processes
- Design user-focused scenarios and UI models
- Establish an ongoing cadence for the business needs and technology support efforts to properly harmonize
- Institute a communications and training hub that would align the entire stakeholder community.
CRM Technology Roadmap
In addition to providing strategic direction, we facilitated discussions and documented tangible, actionable artifacts to support business decisions and guide IT resources:
- Future State Capabilities (Prioritized by the business)
- Technology Roadmap (two major options)
- User-Focused Wireframes (with support from IT)