With over 9,000 employees worldwide, this technology solutions provider is a leader in the global travel and hospitality industry, serving travel suppliers and buyers. Jabian partnered with the client’s strategic planning and operations team whose primary responsibilities are to work with product marketing and development to plan and deliver the enterprise portfolio of product and IT investments.
As the client grew and the travel industry became more competitive through consolidation and direct electronic channels, they struggled to respond quickly to the marketplace and their customers. The client needed to solve how to:
- Improve delivery cost and quality of large, complex projects
- Standardize project execution and development processes
- Respond proactively and quickly to market and customer needs
- Improve resource forecasting and reduce context switching
- Integrate portfolio management tool with SAP S4/HANA to manage end-to-end project investment
A Jabian team of business process and Agile experts led the effort, working with the client’s product marketing and development organizations to transform the way investment ideas are gathered, scored, approved and implemented as projects. Working together, and leveraging Jabian’s Process Engineering & Optimization, Business Analysis, and Agile Software Delivery methodologies, the team rolled out the new process and tools by:
- Understanding the current state problems, gaps and issues
- Defining a future state product lifecycle business process incorporating Agile principles and client needs
- Gathering business scenarios and user stories to realize the process through client’s new portfolio management and development tools
- Providing Agile and portfolio management experiences and best practices
- Sharing change management through leadership to improve process and tool adoption
- Understand end-to-end lifecycle of a project through revenue recognition and investment tracking
Portfolio Management Tool Capability Landscape
As a result of our efforts, the client was able to – for the first tine – have a centralized, consolidated portfolio of all planned and in-progress investments. The client could analyze the portfolio to understand how their investment dollars were allocated across business units, identify capital vs. expense allocation, and project manage approved projects from development to release to customer delivery. Additionally, the client would understand how their projects would integrate with the new financial system. This level of insight enabled the customer to deliver faster and better products to their customers.